Wednesday , April 8 2020
Home / INDYCAR

INDYCAR

Detroit GP cancelled as IndyCar calendar shake-up announced

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar has cancelled the Detroit Grand Prix, while turning some existing events into double-headers and adding an October race at the Indianapolis road course as part of a revised calendar. IndyCar announced on Monday that the Detroit GP - which had become the new 2020 season-opening event following the shift of the GP of Indy to July and the Indy 500 to August - has been canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. A statement from IndyCar read: "As a result of the current public health restrictions and mandates, Grand Prix officials determined it was not possible to host the event at the end of May in order to help protect the health, safety and well-being of the spectators, partners, volunteers, employees and event participants at the Detroit Grand Prix." Bud Denker, chairman of the Detroit GP added: "The Grand Prix is a very important event for Belle Isle Park, the City of Detroit, the City of Windsor and all of..

Read More »

IndyCar stands by Detroit Grand Prix start date for now

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar is currently standing by its new 2020 start date of 30 May at the Detroit Grand Prix, despite Michigan declaring a state of emergency due to the coronavirus pandemic. Following IndyCar's decision to reschedule the GMR Grand Prix of Indianapolis for 4 July, and the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 for 23 August, that left the seventh and eighth rounds of the original 2020 schedule - the Detroit GP double-header - as the new season-opener. It would also be the second round of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, America's premier sportscar series, having postponed its Sebring and Mid-Ohio rounds. Late last week, Detroit GP organisers put out a statement that read: "Detroit Grand Prix officials are continuing to work with local authorities while actively monitoring all information as it relates to the COVID-19 global pandemic. "With mandated restrictions and guidelines affecting the sch..

Read More »

IndyCar CEO hopeful of May start to delayed 2020 season

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar CEO Mark Miles is hopeful that the double-header weekend in Detroit can happen as scheduled on May 29-31 despite the current acceleration of coronavirus cases in the US. Miles says that, with eight weeks to go until the event, he remains "optimistic" it will go ahead. He said: "We're talking to all our promoters regularly [and] in Detroit they're optimistic; we're optimistic. "If at the end of the day it can't happen, we were thinking about other dates that might work. "We'll do everything possible, they'll do everything possible, to stay on the schedule, hopefully at the end of May." IndyCar announced on Thursday that it is to push the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 to August 23rd, along with four other date shifts - for the races at Indianapolis road course, Mid-Ohio, Gateway and Portland - and a possible surprise reinstatement of St. Petersburg. The street/runway cou..

Read More »

2020 Indianapolis 500 postponed to August amid coronavirus pandemic

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email The 2020 edition of the Indianapolis 500 will now be postponed to August 23, as IndyCar continues to push back events amid the ensuing coronavirus pandemic. IndyCar's blue-riband event will move from its original date of May 24, while the Grand Prix of Indianapolis - which takes place on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's road course - will also move to July 4 as a result. The road course race's transition to July 4 means it will now form a double-header at Indianapolis featuring IndyCar and NASCAR, whose inaugural Xfinity race on the same circuit will follow on the same day. "The Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is my favorite time of year, and like our fans, I am disappointed that we have had to reschedule the Indianapolis 500," said Roger Penske, whose Penske Entertainment group now owns both the IMS and the IndyCar Series. "However, the health and safety of our event participants a..

Read More »

Efforts to save 2020 IndyCar Long Beach GP come to nothing

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email The Grand Prix Association of Long Beach has confirmed that after exhaustive efforts to reschedule the 46th Acura GP of Long Beach for 2020, it will now not be possible. As recently as yesterday, Jim Michaelian, president and CEO of GPALB had been investigating all options for alternative calendar dates in 2020, trying to find a solution that worked for IndyCar, IMSA, the Long Beach Convention Center, and City of Long Beach officials. However, the currently unquantifiable nature of the COVID-19 spread has rendered insuperable the odds of coming to a resolution in a timely manner. Said Michaelian: "Over the past few days, we have actively pursued the possibility of rescheduling the Acura Grand Prix to a later date this year with the City of Long Beach, the Convention Center, the NTT IndyCar Series, IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and our other race sanctioning bodies. "We are very disappointed that we were ..

Read More »

Long Beach organisers still aiming to host 2020 IndyCar race

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email The organisers of races at Long Beach are still aiming to find a slot in the IndyCar schedule for 2020 which could also double up as an IMSA round. The Long Beach round's traditional April slot means it has fallen victim to the coronavirus pandemic that has led to America's increasingly stringent regulations and advisements regarding crowd numbers. On Monday night, the Trump administration even advised citizens to not gather in groups of more than 10. Jim Michaelian, CEO and president of the Grand Prix Association of Long Beach, is working on finding a day that could work for the Californian city, for IndyCar and for IMSA together. "We are continuing conversations with IndyCar and IMSA to see if we can reschedule the Acura Grand Prix for later this year," Michaelian told Autosport. "It's not an easy task coordinating all of the various elements together again, but we are giving it our best effort. "..

Read More »

IndyCar aiming to hold 2020 Indy 500 despite coronavirus advice

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar and Indianapolis Motor Speedway are aiming to ensure the 2020 edition of the Indy 500 goes ahead as planned despite current advice from healthcare representatives regarding the coronavirus pandemic. On the eve of the season-opening race St. Petersburg, IndyCar cancelled the event along with the next three rounds on the calendar at Barber Motorsports Park (Alabama), Long Beach (California) and Circuit of The Americas (Texas). IndyCar CEO Mark Miles then told the media that the focus was on beginning the season with the two races in May - the Indianapolis road course event on May 9 and the Indy 500 on May 24. However, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued advice on Sunday evening that, for the next eight weeks, organisers should "cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States." Those eight weeks would preclude the GP of Indy and the pr..

Read More »

Focus is on a “normal schedule” for the Indy 500 – Miles

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar CEO Mark Miles says that the series is focused on being "absolutely ready with the normal schedule" for the Month of May at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Following the IndyCar Series' announcement that the first four rounds of the 2020 season had been cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, the current plan is to have the season open with the Grand Prix of Indianapolis on the IMS road course on 9 May, This would then be followed by the 104th running of the Indianapolis 500 on 24 May. "We are absolutely focused on May. We're all still in St. Petersburg right now, I'm with [IMS track president] Doug Boles and we're going to go home and keep doing what we do and be absolutely ready with the normal schedule," said Miles. "We will obviously evaluate everything, every day by the hour and we'll make any changes we have to make, but our mindset and our efforts are completely dedicate..

Read More »

IndyCar season paused through to the end of April by coronavirus

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email IndyCar has cancelled the first four rounds of the 2020 season, including this weekend's race at St. Petersburg, as the coronavirus outbreak continues to spread. Although Sunday's event on the streets of St. Petersburg was set to go ahead, albeit behind closed doors, IndyCar has subsequently decided to take its season opener off of the calendar amid the escalating coronavirus pandemic. In addition, the series organisers have also cancelled all races up until the end of April, including the race at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, and the Circuit of the Americas round at Austin. This comes after IndyCar had officially cancelled the round at Long Beach, also amid coronavirus fears. "After careful consideration, including regular communication from our event promoters, health officials, and the city administrations in our respective race markets regarding COVID-19, we have made the decision to cancel all..

Read More »

Long Beach IndyCar race scrapped due to coronavirus

Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email The IndyCar Grand Prix of Long Beach will not run as scheduled, due to the City of Long Beach prohibiting all large-scale events through April 30, due to the coronavirus. The Long Beach race, which is due to be the third event of the 2020 campaign, was set to run from 17-19 April. There is a faint hope that the race could be rescheduled for later in the year, but this would require the agreement of several organisations, and would be on the proviso that the city is able to lift the ban on crowded events. The Grand Prix Association of Long Beach stated: "While we recognise that this is a serious inconvenience for our loyal attendees, sponsors and other clients, nevertheless, this action is consistent with our primary objective of assuring the public's safety and well-being at our event. "We are in conversation with the City of Long Beach, various race sanctioning bodies and the Long Beach Convention Center to ..

Read More »